Monday, November 30, 2009

Glass Etching Tutorial

this "toot" is for all of you who have let me know you wanted to know how to do this...it's easy...and I hope I explain it clearly :)..recommend the $1 glass plates at Walmart since they have a smooth bottom...



step one:
chose the design of the background etching..I have chosen the nestie "peony"...and using contact paper have run it through the CB - may need to add extra shim to get a full cut.  You will be using both pieces.


step two:
you will be applying your stamped image and the etching cream to the bottom of the plate. In order to line your image up in the center of the etching background you chose, tape the cutout out piece of contact paper to the inside of the plate (its only a guide so you dont need to remove the backing to apply it to the glass). This way you can see where to stamp your image. Turn your plate over so that the bottom is facing up, CLEAN it with glass cleaner and dry....
use the embossing buddy over the area you are going to stamp...then using versamark - stamp your image onto the glass - NOTE: glass is slippery and this may take a few tries...if the stamp slips on plate, just remove with glass cleaner ...dry...and try it again. When happy with your stamped image, apply your embossing powder (can be any color you want, it doesn't matter. I don't suggest using clear ep.Need to see your embossed image for last step).

Turn plate and let excess powder fall off, you can lightly blow to remove excess ep...sometimes I will also use a soft brush to remove loose ep....if you have loose ep that you cannot remove from the plate, then wipe it all off and do it again!!! you won't be able to remove it after you apply heat

this is important! the etch cream will only frost where the glass is clean!


 
step three:
heat set same as any embossing...NOTE: glass will be hot when done, don't touch glass for a few minutes.



here you can see my embossed image, glass is cool and now ready to prepare plate for etching!

step four:
Now you can see how the cutout piece of the nestie taped to the inside of the plate helps you line up the contact paper over your stamped image onto the bottom of the plate. Put a piece of paper at either corner so the contact paper will be easy to remove. Press the cut edge of the contact paper firmly against plate. Remove the taped piece from the inside of the plate.
Clean your plate again and dry.....

step five:
Pour the etching cream (available at any LSS, suggest using a 50% coupon) over your stamped image, being sure your cut edge of the contact paper is covered over so you get a nice frosted background..I spread it like icing a cake using a plastic knife.....it doesn't have to be super thick, but it does have to have the complete cut out background filled with the cream. Close your cream.
Let sit for a minimum of five minutes...I leave mine for about fifteen minutes....

Final step:  Carry plate to sink and remove the contact paper, using running water rinse off cream from plate and using fingernails, remove the ep! it will easily remove - your glass is etched!!

The first time I did this I was afraid I would scratch my etching and so I was careful in removing the ep...don't worry...the frosted background is definitely etched in the glass....

Here is finished product!


the etching cream bottle says wear gloves...but I don't...my hands never touch the cream.

After you do one, you will see how quick these are to make!

I am still on vacation and getting ready to enjoy my coffee, visit everyone's blogs and STAMP! no housework, cooking, washing etc today...had a wonderful holiday with family (and our grankids...of course everything they did was just the "cutest"!!!)  and laughing, and card playing (we had so much fun playing Spades and Phase 10) plus cooking, cooking, cooking!!! I don't care if I don't eat turkey again until next year!

Have a blessed day - hope you try the glass etching!

16 comments:

craftieodmae said...

OMG! This is gorgeous! Great tutorial! You make it sound so easy to do.

Stacie (craft-princess) said...

Very stunning!

Domna said...

Cool!!!

Lil Daffodil said...

Hi Linda,
Is there no end to your talent. Your amazing. This is a great tutorial and I am going to give this a go after Christmas is over. Great to have you back in blogland again.
Hugs,
Fiona x

Sheila said...

A great tutorial, you make it sound so uncomplicated. I love the finished plate - beautiful! Enjoy your day of fun and relaxation.
God Bless!

Lori said...

Very nice plate! Didn't read the whole toot, but the photos look good. I did this on a smaller scale once, fun!

The Other Patti Sue said...

Your a really good at "toots" GF! I really need to try this!

Mary Anne / MA54K said...

Look at you going all pro here with these tutorials! I'm lovin them! I am happy to have you as a teacher. Do you like apples? Wink*

Scrapping Julie said...

so NICE! thanks for the tutorial also!!

Anonymous said...

Lovely plate! I've never tried this but think I will now with your awesome tutorial! rita w

redwasher1 said...

A huge thank you for this!! I have been wanting to try this ever since you posted that plate you did. I have been out of town for the holiday but I'm back now and trying to get back into the swing of things. Thanks Linda

Pat (mspfd) said...

Super tutorial. Your plate is beautiful. What a great gift this will make.

Unknown said...

Great tutorial! I haven't tried glass etching with stamps and embossing powder. Can't wait to try it, thanks for the info.

Gina Lindsay said...

Wow, another thing for me to try!

Shelly said...

Gorgeous!!! Your tutorial was great! It seems so easy for such beautiful results. :)

I'm glad you had a nice Thanksgiving. We did too. We froze the rest of our turkey after eating it for a few days.

The Wired Angel said...

Love this Linda - terrific job.. the image is perfect for this plate. Thanks for showing us how to do this. I'll have to try once the holiday rush calms down. Hugs from here to there, Peggy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails